Home Page |
Version History |
Known Problems |
Screen Shot |
Version 1.6.1 - April 21, 1997
- Included an ~Aaron Espi Enabler extension that changes the system font back to Espi Sans Bold 10.
- Improved the accented characters in the Veritas 12 system font.
- CyberFinder icons should no longer appear as generic document icons.
- StuffIt SpaceSaver compressed files are now drawn with the normal tag, instead of covering them with a generic document icon.
- Folder Icon Maker lets you choose different folder resources once again.
- In Finder list views, the underline indicating the selected view now moves with the header when you scroll horizontally.
- Aaron now patches Extensions Manager's progress bar.
- Claris Home Page's default button rings now draw correctly.
Version 1.6 - March 21, 1997
- Replaced the system font Espi Sans Bold 10 with Veritas 12. Veritas is
my own version of Apple's Truth font, which is rumored to be the system
font under Mac OS 8. Truth looks like a cross between Espy Sans Bold 10
and Chicago 12.
- Updated the folder icons to better match the ones rumored to be used in Mac OS 8. Also added icons for suitcases, fonts, clippings, and generic documents and applications.
- Now Startup Manager no longer crashes when you resize its control panel window.
- Aaron's window patch now works correctly on Apple's latest 604e Power Macs (7300, 8600, 9600) and under System 7.6.1a9.
Version 1.5.3 - February 21, 1997
- The rotating zoom rectangles now work correctly under System 7.6.
- Aaron no longer patches the floating windows in Photoshop 4.
- Now Menus no longer crashes when you resize its control panel.
Version 1.5.2 - November 25, 1996
- Claris Organizer 2.0 no longer crashes while launching.
- Fixed a bug that caused crashes when dragging icons in the Finder.
- ClarisWorks 4.0v4 no longer crashes while drawing the color palette.
- SuperCard's scroll bars are no longer invisible.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the window grow box from drawing.
- Utility window title bars now match the Apple Grayscale Appearance specs.
Version 1.5.1 - September 9, 1996
- Fixed a few cosmetic glitches with the Finder window header text. The
active column header is now back to underlined instead of bold since the
bold headers caused too many problems.
- Fixed various problems involving the mini-icons in popup menus.
- Fixed an "unimplemented trap" error that could occur if an extension
opens a window during startup.
- QuicKeys 3.5 no longer messes with Aaron's window widgets. This was
due to a bug in QuicKeys--it was using resource IDs that are reserved for
windows--and the programmers should be ashamed of themselves.
- Golive now draws its form elements (buttons, etc.) correctly when
Aaron is running.
- Adobe Acrobat now uses Aaron's 3D menu dividers.
- MasterJuggler's menus now work correctly with Aaron.
- Director no longer confuses Aaron's "red alert" routines.
- Several minor cosmetic improvements.
Version 1.5 - August 7, 1996
New Features / Improvements
- Menu dividers are 3D.
- Finder window headers are much improved. When inactive, they become
flat and the text is grayed out. In list views, the active column header
is bold instead of underlined. The spacing is improved, and clipping
windows and the clipboard have gray headers. The "About This Macintosh"
window gets a gray header, too.
- Check boxes use check marks instead of crosses. This is a recent
change in the Mac OS 8 default theme.
- Aaron patches the startup progress bar (once Aaron has loaded, of
- Inactive scroll bars arrows are slightly darker.
- Inactive default button rings are flat, just like the buttons are.
- Eudora's alerts and progress boxes have gray backgrounds, and Aaron
patches Eudora's progress bar.
- The FreePPP Connection Status window has a gray background, and the
disclosure triangles in FreePPP Setup are 3D.
- The Speed Doubler 1.3 trash dialog box popup menu now works correctly.
Speed Copy's progress bars also look slightly better.
- Fixed a problem that caused some inactive Finder windows to have a
white square instead of a grow box.
- Fixed a problem with Vision from Opcode where popup menu icons would
appear in the main window.
Version 1.4.1 - July 15, 1996
- The QuicKeys Close Window and Zoom Window "mousies" work with Aaron's
- Fixes a bug introduced in version 1.4 that could cause various
crashes, including those with the Mac OS 8 Tour, Microsoft Project, and
PowerBar 2.5 (which was also fixed in PowerBar 2.5.1).
- Desktop Printers use the correct Finder window title bar icon with the
latest Desktop Printer software.
- Inactive windows and buttons are flat, and modal dialog boxes have a
shadow. These are recent changes in the Mac OS 8 Default Theme.
- Minor fixes involving the progress bar and the Finder window title bar
Version 1.4 - June 14, 1996
- Aaron colorizes the mini icons in the Open / Save box folder popup and
Finder window title bar popup.
- Improved the Finder window title bar icon routines. The icon for
printers is not crossed out, and the trash window icon shows whether the
is empty or full. It also recognizes stationery and more file types.
- The dotted outlines when moving, resizing, or spinning a window are
two pixels thick.
- Fixed a few minor progress bar glitches.
- The menus in SoundEdit and Director revert to black and white. These
programs use custom menu drawing routines that are badly written and do
handle color menus correctly.
- If you try to zoom a collapsed window, the window waits to expand until
after you release the mouse.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent floppy disks from ejecting.
- Fixed the "Unimplemented Trap" errors on Macs running System 7.0 or
- Aaron no longer patches PhotoShop's floating windows.
- Adobe PageMaker's fill pattern menu works correctly.
- Now Tabs no longer interferes with Aaron's floating shareware reminder
- DragStrip's floating windows draw correctly without a title bar.
- In CalcWorks 1.5 and earlier, the iconized display no longer has a
title bar, and the minimized window uses Aaron's Copland style windoids.
(CalcWorks 1.5.1 and later use different windoid routines that do not have
- Aaron now includes a distinct icon for shared folders.
- Fixed a few minor bugs with the popup menus, windows, floating
windows, and scroll bars.
Version 1.3.1 - March 26, 1996
- Fixed a conflict with Extensions Strip that caused it to crash when
- The floating windows in DragStrip work normally.
- The floating windows in DragThing update correctly when other floating
windows (such as from AppleGuide or HoverBar) covering them are moved.
- Fixed a conflict with the Colortron Calibrator control panel popup
- Photoshop's floating windows do not draw their titles.
Version 1.3 - March 18, 1996
New Features / Improvements
- The Annoying Shareware Message appears in a floating window (which you
dismiss by clicking the close box) on Macs running System 7.5 or later.
- The rotating zoom rectangles are much faster, and they work on all
- Aaron replaces most floating windoids with its own Copland-style
version. (More precisely, Aaron replaces the Infinity Windoid with its own
floating windoid routines).
- Improved the Finder window header, eliminating the double horizontal
line at the bottom of the header and replacing the dotted divider with a
- StuffIt Expander's progress boxes now have a gray background.
- All alert boxes now have a gray background and red tinged border, and
movable alert boxes have a light red (well, more pink) tinted title bar.
- The progress bar draws significantly faster than in previous versions.
- Added an option to the "WPrf" resource to remove the windowshade
- Worked around a bug in System 7.5.3 that would cause errors in the
(out of memory messages, or errors of type -108 or -192) on Performa
5200-, 5300-, 6200-, and 6300-series Power Macs.
- Fixed a bug that would cause Adobe Photoshop (and perhaps some other
applications) to crash the second time it is launched.
- The dark tinge at the bottom of the menu bar no longer gets erased
under menu items.
- Snap-To (as well as other extensions that snap the cursor to the
default button in dialog boxes) works correctly in alert boxes. This was
actually due to a documented bug in the system software which we have
fixed with a patch.
- The menus in ClarisWorks and other Claris applications highlight in
the correct color instead of black.
- The Apple CD Audio Player red background works correctly once again.
- Aaron no longer draws progress bars in the Apple Video Player controls
Version 1.2 - January 26, 1996
New Features / Improvements
- Now using actual Copland Default Theme specs.
- Aaron now uses the window color specified in the "Color"
control panel for selected menu items, scroll bar thumbs, and progress
Aaron also patches the Color control panel to display new color names. To
get back the old purple/blue color scheme, set the window color to
- Modal dialog boxes no longer have a draggable border (except for
the title bar of moveable modal dialog boxes).
- Red alerts. You will see what we mean.
- Changed the alert icons (stop sign, caution, and note).
- Redesigned the folder icons.
- Menus now have a slight 3D effect (with light and dark tinges on
the left and right).
- Speed Copy's disclosure triangles are now Copland-ized.
- The rotating zoom rectangles are now a tad faster (reduced the
number of steps to 10 from 12).
- The radio buttons and check boxes now have the 3D effect on 4-bit
displays (16 colors or grays).
- The progress bar now looks right on black and white displays.
- FaxState (a FaxSTF extra) now works correctly when Aaron is
- Disabled Aaron's Copland-style windows when running Lotus Notes.
This is to work around an incompatibility where Notes would draw using
pixels. We hope to eliminate this problem completely in a future version.
- Finale's scroll bars now work correctly with Aaron installed.
- Fixed a bug with the windowshade feature. On some 680x0-based Macs,
if you collapsed a large window completely covering a smaller one, the
one would not redraw its contents.
- The rotating zoom rectangles now draw correctly if you change the
number of steps (by editing the WPrf resource). Formerly, outward zooms
would stop short or go too far if you used fewer or more than 12 steps.
- Clicking on the menubar clock no longer erases the dark tinge at
the bottom of the menubar.
- Aaron's windows and rotating zoom rectangles now work with System
7.5 Update 2.0.
Version 1.1.3 - October 2, 1995
- The popup menus in the PowerBook and Auto Power On/Off control
now work correctly.
- Fixed a conflict with AppleScript that could cause crashes on Power
- The Encoding popup menus in Netscape now list encodings instead
- The PopUpFolder submenus now work correctly in the open/save box
folder title popup menu.
- Fixed the Type 11 errors and related crashes when dragging the
bar thumb in certain applications, such as Word, Quicken, and Alpha.
The spinning zoomrect effect is faster and much less pronounced.
The PlainTalk speech recognition window should appear correctly now.
The Speed Dial popup menu in MegaPhone now works correctly. The popup menus
now support hierarchical submenus (personally, I don't think popups should
The Categories popup menu in Claris Organizer now shows the correct colors.
The popup menus now support color menu items.
The Speed Copy (Speed Doubler) progress boxes are now Copland-ized.
Resizing the Now Menus control panel should no longer crash (we really mean
it this time).
Improved the trash can icon slightly.
The disclosure triangles in ClarisWorks 4 are no longer switched.
Fixed a conflict with the Code Warrior 7 version of PowerPlant
If Greg's Buttons is running, Aaron disables its system font substitution
Version 1.1.1 - August 9, 1995
- WindowShade widget should now function on systems earlier than 7.5
- Fixed potential 'Unimplemented Trap' error on startup when running
other extensions such as SpeedyFinder7.
Version 1.1 - August 8, 1995
New Features / Improvements
- Added Copland-style floating windows.
- The ghost thumb is fully functional. It should no longer conflict
with anything, not even Scrolling (though with Scrolling, you will not get
the ghosting). This feature is now turned on by default.
- Aaron now uses the correct Finder window title bar icon for volumes
such as CD-ROMs, file servers, or the System 7.5 RAM Disk. It still doesn't
get icons from the disk drivers yet.
- Aaron now recognizes the System Folder, Extensions, Control Panels,
etc. on volumes other than the startup disk.
- Popup menus near the bottom of the screen pop up from the button
instead of down.
- Improved behavior on black and white monitors.
- Aaron and WindowShade no longer work well together. The WindowShade
widget in the title bar works just dandy, though. This was done to fix the
problem with Stuffit (mentioned below). This was also done in anticipation
of a future addition to Aaron.
- Added spinning zoom rects in the Finder. These are Finder version
dependent. If they do not work for you please let me (Ed) know which
of the Finder you are using and I'll adjust it to work properly for you.
Also, you can tweak these zoomrects via the 'WPrf' resource. Increasing
the number of steps will improve the effect, but they will be slower.
- Photoshop's Curves dialog box is no longer transparent.
- More's window will no longer roll up and and cause scroll bars to
be drawn on the desktop when doing a File:Open.
- Wünderbar now works correctly with Aaron. No more clicks going
'thru' the window.
- Fixed a second conflict with MicroPhone.
- Fixed a conflict with StuffIt that caused crashes when collapsing
windows with the WindowShade widget.
- Fixed a conflict with MacUSA/MacGlobe
- Trying to resize the window for the Now Menus control panel should
no longer crash.
- Fixed a conflict with the Text control panel.
- Fixed once and for all the system bug that could cause gibberish
in the menu bar or crashes when launching applications. So, you no longer
need to mess with the "mctb" resource (in fact, it is no longer
there, although that is not related to the fix). Many thanks to Steve Kiene
for tracking down the cause of this problem and suggesting a fix. There
are actually two fixes in place to make sure this problem never reoccurs,
so if you do experience a crash when launching an application, it is
some other unrelated bug.
- Fixed the problem where the system font would occasionally switch
to Espi Sans Bold 10 on systems that don't use Chicago as the system font
(such as KanjiTalk). Again, we have two fixes for this problem: one to
the thing that was triggering it, and another to substitute the correct
font back in if it were to be triggered in some other way.
- Fixed a memory leak that could cause the Finder to run out of
- Eliminated the slight delay when opening some windows. Window
should be significantly faster.
- The Script Editor's grow box works properly now.
- The folder popup menu in the Open and Save dialog boxes no longer
duplicates the first item.
- Aaron no longer attempts to draw 3D progress bars in America
eWorld, or PhotoShop.
- ClarisWorks' color palettes no longer show the progress bar effect
in the gray and blue wells.
- The default button outline no longer leaves stray pixels around
the corners if you are using Greg's Buttons.
- Aaron does not draw its 3D menu bar tinges if you colorize your
menus with some other utility.
- Eliminated the rogue vertical line on the right side of the
bar in Anarchie.
- The push buttons now have white titles when pushed.
- Tweaked the scroll bars slightly.
- Zooming a windowshaded window should no longer cause part of the
desktop to poke through the window.
- The popup routines should now work with MacApp (they now store the
last selected menuID and item in the private dataHandle structure where
MacApp expects to find them).
Version 1.0 - July 16, 1995
New Features / Improvements
- Added Copland-style 3D default button frames in dialog boxes.
Expanded modal dialog boxes a few pixels. This gives Now SuperBoomerang
(and Norton Directory Assistance?) enough room to display its menus in the
Open and Save boxes without overlapping the window border.
The pop-up menus now support icons.
Aaron now supports color titles for radio buttons, check boxes, and push
The buttons now correctly handle "254-highlighting" (an obscure
The windows now draw better in 16 colors.
Aaron now uses the Greg's Buttons dialog box color for Finder progress
Slightly modified the check boxes, radio buttons, window widgets, and
The new 3D progress bar now appears in the Copy dialog box on German
- Fixed a conflict with QuickDraw GX that would cause crashes in the
Print and Page Setup dialog boxes.
Fixed the conflict with MicroPhone.
Fixed a bug that would cause Eudora to hang/crash when opening a help
Fixed a bug that could cause the system font to occasionally revert back
to Chicago 12.
Aaron now works correctly non-Roman scripts, such as Kanji, Hebrew, or
(but not Icelandic, I'm afraid). It specifically checks for Chicago 12
of blindly replacing the system font with Espi Sans Bold 10.
Fixed a bug that could cause "Find File" to crash when you click
in a pop-up menu.
Command clicking in the title bar of inactive windows to move them now
Fixed a problem with the grow box in the Launcher window.
Version 1.0b5 - July 8, 1995
New Features / Improvements
- Hacked the Finder progress boxes to look like the Copland screen
Added Copland-style disclosure triangles in Finder list views.
Added Copland-style pop-up menu controls.
Added 'ghosting' effect to the scroll bar thumb when dragged. This feature
conflicts with the Scrolling control panel, and it does not work correctly
on some Macs. In order to use the ghost thumb, you must switch it on by
editing the "SPrf" resource in ResEdit.
Finder window title bars should now be getting the correct icon. It now
pays attention to custom icons and labels.
The windows are now pixel for pixel identical to the Copland screen shots,
except as noted below.
Added the window drop shadow. I don't know if I like it, but it is faithful
to the actual. The lower left portion of the shadow does not go all the
way to the edge of the window like in the screen shots. Sorry.
Added another option in the "WPrf" resource for turning icons
in Finder window title bars on or off. The icons can slow you down a
If you have a fast machine, I would not worry about it.
Made the radio buttons smoother, lightened the blue menu highlight color,
and improved the 3D menu bar.
- Eliminated the rogue black lines that would appear when using
The New Folder button now draws correctly when highlighted on black and
Fixed conflict with Folder Icon Maker where Aaron's folder icons would
custom folder icon files.
Desktop printers windows no longer have a gray header.
Fixed a bug that could corrupt the trash can icon.
Fixed problem with buttons in Quark.
Fixed problem with BBEdit that would turn the text gray after a paste
The "WPrf" resource now has a template that ResEdit can
Fixed problem where moving the scroll bar thumb to the top/left of the
bar would cause it to jump to the end.
Fixed compatibility problem with the Scrolling cdev and ZTerm.
Fixed problem where closing a windowshaded window would cause a weird
Changed grow box drawing behavior to only draw when called upon. This fixes
the problem where the Chooser and Get Info boxes had grow boxes, but
another: occasionally Finder windows will not have a grow box when
drawn. This is because the Finder has not told the WDEF to draw any grow
boxes yet. Once the window becomes active, everything is normal from that
Clicking the windowshade button no longer causes ProTERM to quit.
Wünderbar now works wünderbar. You *may* notice a slight
when the window is rolled up, though.
You can no longer move the window by clicking in the lower right edge of
the window. That land has been taken over by the evil yet ever-flexible
Grow Box Empire! So no more dragging when you meant to resize.
Window titles now draw properly when in Stuffit Lite (and probably Deluxe
Window title embossing now uses a slightly darker gray, so it is not so
Version 1.0b4 - June 26, 1995
New Features / Improvements
- Added the WindowShade widget to the top right of the title bar.
- Added a 'WPrf' resource to allow disabling of window title
for you purists.
- You can no longer resize a rolled up window. That was not good.
- Changed the trash can icon yet again.
- Changed the Aaron extension icon slightly.
- Windows now roll up properly when using WindowShade (no pixels left
hanging off the bottom).
- Fixed problem where clicking in the grow portion of an inactive
window would grow it when in fact it should have merely activated it.
- Aaron now draws the button frame correctly for selected push
on black and white monitors.
Version 1.0b3 (MacHack '95)
Fixed a bug that would occasionally substitute other controls (such as
Fixed a bug at startup that EvenBetterBusError (EBBE) caught.
Fixed a bug that could prevent Aaron from changing the System font to Espi
Sans Bold 10.
Aaron now lets application-specific WDEFs override its window routines.
Added Copland-style windows and scroll bars, courtesy of Ed Voas.
The empty and full trash can icons now use a gray shadow instead of a black
Aaron no longer draws the white highlight at the top of the screen if the
menu bar is hidden.
Aaron now has an extension icon which it draws at startup.
Changed the name to ~Aaron so that it loads after CE Toolbox.
Aaron can now coexist with Greg's Buttons. The settings in Greg's Buttons
Back to Greg's Shareware Page
Greg's Buttons |
Greg's Browser |
Power Windows |
Copyright © 1997 Gregory D. Landweber and Amargosa Software, Inc.,
All Rights Reserverd